On Oct 4, 2016 8:52 AM, "Adam Williamson" <adamw...@fedoraproject.org>
wrote:

> Recently several reports of people getting 'duplicated packages' and
> 'kernel updates not working' have come through to us in QA from Fedora
> 24 users. I managed to get one reporter to explain more specifically
> what happened, and it sounds a lot like what's happening is that
> something in the 'dnf update' process can cause a GNOME or X crash,
> possibly depending on hardware or package set installed. When that
> happens, the update process is killed and does not complete cleanly,
> which is why you get 'duplicated packages' and other odd results.

How hard would it be to make dnf do the rpm transaction inside a proper
system-level service (transient or otherwise)?  This would greatly increase
robustness against desktop crashes, ssh connection loss, KillUserProcs, and
other damaging goofs.

I once hosed a RHEL5 system when an ssh terminal running yum died.  Sigh.