On Tue, 2016-10-04 at 19:34 +0000, Luya Tshimbalanga wrote:
> Thanks for the warning. Fortunately I frequently run update with Gnome
> Software.
> Does that issue also affect "pkcon update" command as well?

Yes, it would. The issue does have an element of hardware dependence
also. What we've worked out so far (with thanks to Zbyszek) is
basically this:

1. When you update systemd-udev , it restarts systemd-udev-trigger.service
   in %post
2. That calls `udevadm trigger --type=devices --action=add`
3. That seems to result in the video adapter effectively being replugged
   at the udev level

Now on *most* systems, this seems to just cause X to (metaphorically)
blink, go "what the hell happened there?", shrug, and carry on. If your
system is one of these, you won't really notice anything. On affected
systems, however - which so far seems to be something like 'some
systems with NVIDIA adapters, possibly ones with NVIDIA/Intel hybrid
graphics' - it causes X to crash.

If you want to check if your system is affected you can just run
'systemctl restart systemd-udev-trigger.service' as root with a desktop
running, and see if it crashes. Make sure you don't have anything
running unsaved. :P
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey