On Thu, 2016-10-06 at 17:05 -0400, Eric Griffith wrote:
> Can anyone answer this relatively simple question: "Why grubby?" I've
> seen a number of discussions on various topics surrounding the boot
> loader that all seem to devolve into "We would love to support that,
> but grubby doesn't, so we can't."
>
> At what point does the maintenance burden of using grubby outweigh
> its own benefits?
>
> I don't ask this rhetorically, or because I particularly want to see
> grubby gone. I just don't see the benefit that we get from having
> grubby when other distros seem to get by just fine without it, or if
> they do use it, it doesn't seem to be getting in their way.

The major reason it exists, AIUI, is that it provides a consistent
interface across different bootloaders (we use bootloaders other than
grub on non-Intel architectures). It's also I think mostly consistent
across grub-legacy and grub2. This is a big thing for big RHEL sites
that want to have consistent bootloader management across disparate
arches and RHEL releases (inc. old ones that still use grub-legacy).

The same situation does exist for Fedora, since we *do* have PPC and
s390 and stuff as secondary arches.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey