On Sat, Oct 8, 2016 at 5:24 AM, Josh Boyer <jwbo...@fedoraproject.org> wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 7, 2016 at 8:01 PM, Andrew Lutomirski <l...@mit.edu> wrote:
>> On Fri, Oct 7, 2016 at 4:55 PM, Josh Boyer <jwbo...@fedoraproject.org> wrote:

>>> Which, in effect, could just as well be writing a "specification" for
>>> grubby.
>>
>> I disagree.
>>
>> The bootloader spec, update-grub, and pretty much everything except
>> grubby are stateless in the sense that the list of installed kernels
>> and other things is generated freshly each time it updates.  (The
>> bootloader spec does this at every boot, and update-grub does it
>> whenever it's run.)  These solutions don't try to let users customize
>> the result after the fact.  Instead, any customization is written to a
>> file intended for the specific purpose of customizing the boot
>> process, and that file is never written by automatic tools.
>> Bootloader spec parsing, update-grub, etc are all idempotent, which is
>> a *really* nice property.
>>
>> Grubby attempts to parse a configuration file and apply a change for a
>> single kernel addition or removal to it without losing other
>> customizations.  This is a much harder problem to solve well.  It's
>> also not idempotent.  Unsurprisingly (to me, anyway), it doesn't seem
>> to work all that well and it's a PITA to maintain.
>
> You're focusing on the technical aspects of the implementations.  I
> was making a subtle point about the fact that any Fedora-specific
> version of a spec will simply remain a Fedora specific version, which
> defeats the purpose of a specification to begin with.  In essence,
> we'll wind up repeating the implied lesson of grubby.
>
> If we're going to work on a specification, it should be done in
> coordination with other distros.

My idea of a spec was just to document what Fedora needs to support,
so it's known what work needs to be done, including documentation.
That is, start with what we're actually willing to do, rather than
some fiction we won't even follow anyway.

Of the two bootloader specs, we don't exactly follow either one of
them, in meaningful ways: Like where the configuration files live,
which is a fundamental point of those specs.

If GRUB upstream code is an implicit spec, we don't follow that
either. Fedora's GRUB puts the bootloader config file in a different
location depending on the firmware being used; upstream and other
distros don't do that. And Fedora's GRUB uses kernel and initrd
commands that upstream does not use, nor any other distro I've looked
at, and therefore our GRUB is unable to use other distro's grub.cfgs.
When it comes to discovery of other OS's our installer team rejects
the idea they're supposed to activate all LVM LV's so os-prober can
discover those OS's. Fedora is divergent. Even if there were
coordination done with other distros on a spec, why would we suddenly
start following that one?

Anyway, coordination has been tried and failed. Whether the distros
just don't care about the problem, or actually enjoy the mutual
incompatibility, I can't say. But in the end it's gone no where.

--
Chris Murphy