On Wed, Nov 16, 2016 at 02:32:46PM -0500, Daniel J Walsh wrote:
> We would like to change the docker container storage to default to
> Overlayfs2 in Fedora 26.  But we have a problem on Atomic Host and
> Fedora Server distributions.
>

> Currently docker-storage-setup defaults to devicemapper and is hard
> coded to setup a thinpool of 40% of remaining disk.  Otherwise it sets
> up loopback devices on the root file system.   Devicemapper is nice
> since it works with thinpools and can automatically expand the storage
> if the disk space is getting used up.
>
> Moving to Overlay, we can more easily use the root file system directly,
> which would be fine for Fedora Workstation.  We want to preserve the use
> of the remaining storage for Overlay on AH and Fedora Server,  since
> this would give a user flexibility to switch back to using devicemapper
> if they had problems with the Overlay driver.

And being able to do so basically involves following.

- docker-storage-setup creates a logical volume from free space
- Creates a filesystem on that logical volume
- Mounts that logical volume on the directory which docker is going to
  use.

  mount /dev/docker-vg/foo /var/lib/docker/

- Now when docker users overlay2 graph driver, all the images, containers
  and associated metadata will be stored outside the root filesystem and
  onto /dev/docker-vg/foo logical volume.

> We can not as easily
> support the expanding disk for Overlay since we will not use using thinpool.

> We have looked at options to hard code OverlayFS with the defaults,

If we always mount /var/lib/docker on on /dev/vg/foo for overlay2 driver
this will be a regression w.r.t current behavior. So I would not
recommend changing current behavior. I think this should be an opt-in.
We are working on provide a config knob to elect this behavior and
atomic host and fedora server will have to opt-in somehow.

I think it will be easy for atomic host as they already drop something
in /etc/sysconfig/docker-storage-setup. Not sure how fedora server
variant will do it.

Thanks
Vivek