On Tue, Nov 22, 2016 at 11:24:04PM -0000, Josh Berkus wrote:
> Vivek, Dan,
>
> > - Now when docker users overlay2 graph driver, all the images, containers
> >   and associated metadata will be stored outside the root filesystem and
> >   onto /dev/docker-vg/foo logical volume.

[ Please don't remove emaild ids from oringal to, cc list. My emails
  get filtered in a folder and I don't scan it often ]

> This is a change from current storage setup?  Right now, containers go in the
> docker volume, but images do not.  If we can do that, it would be worth
> having overlay right there.

Right now, with lvm thin pool, both images and containers get stored in
lvm thin pool. Some metadata associated with images and containers remains
on rootfs (in /var/lib/docker/ dir).

> My one concern for Atomic is ... how do existing users upgrade when we make
> this change?  Does their devicemapper config still just work when they pull
> the new tree?

There will be no change to existing devicemapper functionality and upgrade
should continue to work fine.

This new functionality should kick in only if there is no existing setup.
(Signalled by the absense of /etc/sysconfig/docker-storage file).

Otherwise docker-storage-setup can detect that already there is a
configured driver and it will not setup a new one.

Vivek