On Sun, Jul 11, 2010 at 5:17 AM, Michel Alexandre Salim
<michael.silva...@gmail.com> wrote:
> The signal-to-noise ratio in Bugzilla has definitely dropped since
> ABRT is introduced. Newer versions do require some text to be inserted
> before it will submit the bug report, but perhaps it has to be
> modified further to require a minimum length and/or number of lines?
> Otherwise users will just say "Start the program" or something
> similar.

I disagree. For the packages I maintain, they've actually resulted in
me seeing issues that I normally wouldn't hit because they are in a
feature I don't use. Making it easier for casual users to drive a
traceback or stacktrace back to me has actually proven useful in
informing me of problems.  And for the most part when I need
additional information on how to reproduce the issue users have
responded. They've also created some bug reports for issues I simply
can't reproduce at all.. and thus haven't been able to nail down.. but
I wouldn't call those noise.

The only _noise_ I've seen was abrt allowing someone to report crashes
against included example matplotlib scripts (scripts which require
non-default matplotlib userspace configurations to work), and the abrt
developers have solved that problem to my satisfaction.

I'm definitely see more activity than  before abrt, but I honestly
can't say its a worse signal to noise ratio for my packages.

-jef