On Mon, Dec 12, 2016 at 8:22 AM, Kamil Paral <kpa...@redhat.com> wrote:
>> Admittedly, I have not gone through the whole thread, but I'd like to
>> point out that I *do* use the DVD and netinstall ISOs for optical
>> media boot on real hardware, though in a somewhat indirect manner.
>> Many of the servers I use have IPMI, which allows me to have it boot a
>> remote DVD device with an ISO or a real DVD drive. Due to certain
>
> This is interesting. Does IPMI also allow you boot from a "remote USB device"?

Not any of the servers I've worked with. Only remote DVD boot. I've
never heard of anyone being able to do remote USB or disk device, as I
think the ability to write over the network is considered not
desirable...

>> bugs[1], I've increasingly relied on the DVD vs netinstall. From the
>> system's perspective, it's a regular DVD startup, just like with VMs.
>
> Well, unfortunately DVD boot on bare metal is different from DVD boot in VMs.
> The former is proposed to be less tested, the latter would remain fully
> tested. The question is what form of boot IPMI uses, and that information is
> probably difficult to find out.
>
> I wonder, why do you prefer remote DVD boot over something like PXE boot,
> boot.fedoraproject.org or booting the iso directly from grub?

The environment I'm working in doesn't allow us to have a PXE boot
server. boot.fedoraproject.org doesn't seem to work, and even if it
did, that would likely be the equivalent of a netinstall, and
netinstalls are broken until someone does something about how kernel
package flavors are selected and installed. Booting the iso from grub
implies I have something to boot from first (I usually don't), and
also setting up grub is a non-trivial task for this stuff.