On Fri, Jan 06, 2017 at 02:05:49PM -0500, Daniel J Walsh wrote:
> Upstream docker is moving to overlay2 by default for its storage.  We
> plan on following suit.  Their are some performance advantages of
> overlay2 over devicemapper in memory sharing, which we would like to
> take advantage of.   We now have SELinux support for Overlay  file
> systems, so the security should be just as good.
>
> Note: Overlay is not a Posix Compliant file system, so their could be
> problems with your containers running on overlay, so
> we want to make sure it is fairly easy to switch back to devicemapper.

Yes, idea is basically that with overlay2 continuously improving upstream,
it might be at a stage where pros of overlay2 might outweight its cons
for lot of people. And if does not, then provide and easy way for
users to switch back to devicemapper.

With overlay2 being default, it will also provide with some data about
how well it works for various workloads.

Vivek