On Mon, 27 Feb 2017 19:37:31 +0100, Peter Robinson <pbrobin...@gmail.com> wrote:

= Proposed Self Contained Change: Arm Support In FMW =
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Changes/ArmSupportInFmw

Change owner(s):
* Martin Bříza <mbriza AT redhat DOT com>

Fedora Media Writer will gain the ability to write ARM images to SD
cards and other portable media.

== Detailed Description ==
With ARM (ARMv7A) being one of the primary architectures of Fedora, we
should support writing the images to bootable media for devices with
this architecture.

This means Fedora Media Writer will have to list the ARM images, offer
their download and be able to unpack them reliably (as they're shipped
LZMA-compressed - .xz). Memory card support should be improved,
especially in terms of reading drive information - many SD card
drivers report wrong names, sizes and media presence.

This will come along with many more features in FMW, such as
fullscreen screenshot preview, automatic FMW update check on Windows
and Mac, better reliability and performance improvements.

== Scope ==
* Proposal owners:
Implementation of this Change

* Other developers:
N/A (not a System Wide Change)

* Release engineering:
N/A

* List of deliverables:
N/A (not a System Wide Change)

* Policies and guidelines:
N/A (not a System Wide Change)

* Trademark approval:
N/A (not needed for this Change)

So this is another case where the 'system-wide' / 'self-contained'
split doesn't really work. This doesn't affect the functioning of
anyone's existing installed system, but it clearly has implications for
the wider project: if this becomes the 'official' delivery mechanism
for ARM users, that'll require changes to the download pages. And while
the Change page says " How To Test - N/A (not a System Wide Change)",
clearly this *will* need testing, especially before we make it the
primary delivery mechanism.

Yeah, you're right.
I'm intending this as a smaller change that will just make this
functionality available. However, I don't mean to push this as a primary way how to ship Fedora ARM images - there are some specifics that the tool won't
handle before F26 (and maybe ever), like resizing the partitions after
writing it and maybe some hardware-specific cases.
Regarding the test cases, these will be necessary, yes. I'm going to add
them as an optional part of the FMW verification matrix.

It would be nice if you also engaged with myself or the ARM SIG in
general too from both an implementation details PoV and a QA.

Peter

Resending this to the ARM list too.
From the implementation standpoint, this change is basically just about listing Fedora ARMv7 images in the list of available Fedora variants and also adding LZMA on-the-fly decompression for the raw images provided by fedora download mirrors. Please let me know if there are other features you'd like to have implemented. Please also note FMW is a multiplatform tool so adding things like partition layout changes on Windows (especially) and Mac would be a pretty challenging task for now - these would probably have to resort to be Linux-exclusive for some time.