On Fri, Apr 14, 2017 at 7:19 AM, Nico Kadel-Garcia <nka...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 13, 2017 at 11:18 PM, Adam Williamson

>>> It was tried for
>>> Fedora years ago, and discarded with a passion.
>>
>> What 'was tried for Fedora'? What are you referring to?
>
> Linuxconf, which was much like YaST. It was in some of Red Hat's 8 and
> a few other pre-RHEL releases, it didn't work very well, and was
> maintained for some time in a number of third-party Fedora
> repositories. From a casual archive search, it doesn't seem to have
> ever made it into the actual Fedora releases.

Linuxconf was actually a part of Red Hat Linux for a while, but
removed in RHL 7.1 I believe (over 15 years ago), long before Fedora.
I only brought it up as a joke. It was removed because it was the
wrong approach.

Systems management is an interesting topic, and very difficult to get
right. I think cockpit is a great tool, but it is not a full system
configuration tool, and shouldn't be.  While it has been years since I
was in the system engineering/sysadmin world, I very much remember
tools like smit/smitty.  Not because they were easy to use, but
because they bred an entire group of "sysadmins" who knew these admin
tools, but had no idea what those tools were actually doing. They
didn't understand the systems at all.  I really like the approach of
a) self configuring services where possible, b) service specific tools
where required, and c) good old fashioned config files available for
fine tuning everything.   Ideally, a large percentage of users will
never have to configure their services.  For those that do, service
specific tools can always make better decisions than something unified
tracking a ton of services and upstreams.  Config files might require
reading a man page, or docs, but they are manageable, they can be
revision controlled in git, and provisioned to a number of machines at
once very easily.