25.04.2017 06:16 Globe Trotter <itsme_...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> [...]
>  However, if there is going to be an issue with getting it accepted in Fedora
> because it has not been around for a while and because it is likely hardly
> used by people (because it is at best for WM environments), then I don't know
> if I should even proceed.

No, I misunderstood the history of the project because the
GitHub repo says it's been created 23 days ago and has no
releases so far. Having read your more explanations I think
it's probably only a matter of some technical rework.

The project may not be accepted in Fedora because of the
legal reasons. Otherwise I may be wrong but I don't think
there is any threshold of minimum days since being started,
minimum number of users etc.

>  Ideally, of course, it appears that the best course would be to version the
> software in github itself. I have to figure out how to do this, and would
> appreciate any pointers in this regard. I only know very basic commands in
> git.

You should choose what is your preferred releasing model
and your spec file must be adapted to the source repo.
It's easier for you because you work on both sides.

I also consider myself as the beginner in git but here
are some links I think may be useful:

* If you'd like to import your project to GitHub again,
now with whole history:

https://help.github.com/articles/importing-a-repository-with-github-importer/

* About releases in GitHub:

https://help.github.com/articles/about-releases/

Also click in this page: Working With Tags and Creating Releases

* Linking to releases - this will be useful when you will access your
release source code from the spec file:

https://help.github.com/articles/linking-to-releases/

* I also recommend reading About branches. When making a release
you should create a release branch which will not be updated unless
you find a bug in an old release and want to make a bugfix release.
Normally your current work should be pushed to master:

https://help.github.com/articles/about-branches/

I hope this helps.

Regards,

Rafal