Sorry, right, I'm trying to become a packager. Funny enough, I use IRC every day; what room should I join (I'm assuming Freenode).

On 9 May 2017, at 14:45, Jason L Tibbitts III wrote:

"RO" == Ron Olson <tachokni...@gmail.com> writes:

RO> I did request access but the page gave me a catch-22 of needing to
RO> be in a particular group to continue; it was awhile ago at the end
RO> of last year and I kind of dropped it, but since I've been playing
RO> more Nethack on my Fedora 25 laptop, it rekindled my interest in
RO> being the maintainer.

I guess what you're trying to say is that you're not a packager.  That
wasn't mentioned anywhere as far as I can see.  The maintainer of any
package can request that you be made a packager so that you can assist
them with the package, and I'm sure that fale would have done that if
you had mentioned that you needed such.

I can also sponsor you into the packager group as can several other
folks.  That's basically just a promise to mentor you and help with
questions you may have.  For me it would be vastly preferable if you
were on IRC because that's a low effort way to communicate, versus email
which for me often piles up and gets missed.

RO> Sorry if I'm doing this wrong; the maintainer packages are pretty
RO> involved and I'm trying to navigate through this; there's no 'dnf -y
RO> install maintainer' as far as I can tell. :)

Well, there's fedora-packager, but of course it only gets you the tools,
not the knowledge.  We have a bunch of documentation about becoming a
packager; I'm not sure what you've read at this point.

I looked at the nethack package and while it's a bit archaic it's not
particularly complicated.  I personally would do some cleanup
simplifications which might make it a bit easier to read and maintain
but it's not a difficult package by any means.  (The use of X11 core
fonts does scare me, though; that's something most of us would try to
forget.)

Of course I'm assuming that 3.6 hasn't become drastically more
complicated.

 - J<