On 05/15/2017 11:30 AM, Jakub Hrozek wrote:
> On Mon, May 15, 2017 at 05:22:14PM +0200, Tomas Mraz wrote:

>>> Is this what you are looking for?
>>>     https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Changes/SSSDCacheForLocalUsers
>>>
>>> That page says:
>>> """
>>> This change proposes leveraging a new "files" provider SSSD will ship
>>> in
>>> the next version in order to resolve also users from the local files.
>>> That way, the "sss" NSS module can be configured before the files
>>> module
>>> in nsswitch.conf and the system could leverage sss_nss caching for
>>> both
>>> local and remote users.
>>> """
>> The questions still hold for the consistency between passwd and shadow
>> and also for the systemd module present.
> Since sssd doesn't handle the password map, being consistent there in
> the ordering sense (sss before files) wouldn't make much sense, because
> the nss module functions for the shadow map are not even implemented in
> nss_sss. We could even omit the sss module from that map altogether.

The only historical reason it is there is because authconfig didn't
differentiate them; it made all changes to shadow identically to passwd.
I don't know if that's still the case, but I'm pretty sure it was when
we first added SSSD support to authconfig. It's not harmful, since the
SSSD client just immediately returns with an appropriate NSS error code
if it's asked for any shadow map function.