On 18 May 2017 at 09:16, Richard W.M. Jones <rjo...@redhat.com> wrote:
> On Tue, May 16, 2017 at 11:29:42PM +0100, James Hogarth wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> It was pointed out on IRC to me tonight that there are actually a
>> reasonable number of packages that still depend on net-tools[0].
>
> What's wrong with net-tools?  I always install it on my machines to
> get the familiar BSD-style tools.  Also the replacements like "ip" are
> not really improvements.
>
> Rich.

I don't want to get into an exhaustive detailing of the issues on this
list, as it doesn't seem the right place for it and it is a diversion
of the point of the thread...

But a few things in brief:

The tools in the net-tools package uses the old IOCTL interfaces with
the kernel, which leaves them very limited in what they can do. Way
back in 2.2 the netlink socket api was added as a more flexible method
of interacting than ioctl, to give an idea of how far back this now
goes.

You can dive into the history of iproute2 a bit yourself here:

https://wiki.linuxfoundation.org/networking/iproute2
http://linux-ip.net/html/tools-iproute2-remarks.html

Now for some examples...

Since ifconfig uses the limited ioctl interface it is not capable of
displaying secondary IP addresses on an interface, such as VIPs put in
place by keepalived or pacemaker.

https://www.hogarthuk.com/?q=node/6

The route command only works on the default main table and has no
concept of the full routing decisions the kernel makes (compare route
print to ip route li table  all for example) and there's no ability to
check ip rules through net-tools.

IPv6 is becoming far more important but there's almost no ability to
handle that through net-tools (try to find an equivalent for ip -6
neigh sh)

The people working on the kernel network stack developed iproute2
alongside the network stack to properly support and interface to it.

That's just a few bits, and as I've said I'd rather not get diverted
from the actual scope and goal.

Now I have heard the argument made "why not port net-tools to netlink
so the old stuff is still valid?" but someone needs to do that work,
not just ask the question. Open Source is a meritocracy after all ;)

The people with the best knowledge to do that already wrote a set of
userspace tools against netlink ... that's iproute2

Now I know familiarity can be nice but do be aware there's not even
compatibilty (in arguments or output) between the BSD ifconfig and the
linux net-tools ifconfig and they are not actually related in code at
all.

I urge you to break your muscle memory - especially as IPv6 becomes
more prevalent - and I urge everyone not to veer off the topic
proposed any further than we have done already :)