Hello!

I had an idea for a summer internship project, but I wanted to ask my
fellow Fedora devs if something like this already exists so it doesn't
get created as a duplicate project.

The idea is to create a dnf plugin that would allow you to do this:

$ sudo dnf upgrade FEDORA-2017-30604deb62

That update is a Gnome update, and likely has packages in it that you
don't use, but others that you do. The plugin would compare the
packages in the update against your installed set of packages to form
and execute the true dnf update command that should be run without
installing new packages (unless they are required). It would also
enable updates-testing of course. It could even be written to pull the
rpms from Koji if the update hasn't hit testing yet.

I've found that it is a little painful for me to test multi-package
updates when I don't use all the RPMs and I don't keep updates-testing
enabled on my system, so that's my motivation behind the idea. Does
anything like this already exist? If not, does it sound like a useful
tool to others?

It could also support the install command, in which case it would just
install all the RPMs from the update.