= Proposed Self Contained Change: Decouple system java setting from
java command setting =
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Changes/Decouple_system_java_setting_from_java_command_setting

Change owner(s):
* Michael Simacek <msimacek AT redhat DOT com>
* Mikolaj Izdebski <mizdebsk AT redhat DOT com>

Alternatives can be used to specify which Java installation should be
the default for the system. Currently, changing the default java
command causes not only a change to the /usr/bin/java symlink, but
also affects the which runtime is used for system installed Java
applications. We propose introduction of separate setting for
system-wide java applications.

== Detailed Description ==
Fedora allows parallel installation of multiple Java runtime
environments and it uses alternatives mechanism to allow the user to
switch between them. JDK packages provide a set of alternatives
symlinks for it's executables. The java symlink is used to determine
the java command (/usr/bin/java), but also determines which runtime
environment is used to run system-wide Java applications installed
from RPMs, such as maven or eclipse. While in theory different Java
runtime environments are drop-in replacements for each other, in
practice some of the applications may stop working properly. Users
usually install alternative JDKs in order to run their own
applications and don't expect that changing the java command will have
effect on the system applications. By introducing a separate setting
for system-wide java, we would avoid this problem. We propose
specifying default Java runtime for RPM-managed applications in
/etc/java/java.conf (this is already possible, but not currently
used). Administrators would still be able to override the system
default if they need to.

== Scope ==
* Proposal owners:
Adjust javapackages-tools to provide default Java setting in /etc/java/java.conf

* Other developers:
N/A (not a System Wide Change)

* Release engineering:
https://pagure.io/releng/issue/6831