On Sun, 2017-07-16 at 13:27 +0000, Zbigniew Jędrzejewski-Szmek wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 12, 2017 at 02:17:47PM +0200, Jaroslav Reznik wrote:
> > = Proposed Self Contained Change: Unified database for DNF =
> > https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Changes/Unified_database_for_DNF
> >
> > Change owner(s):
> > * Eduard Čuba <ec...@redhat.com>
> > * Igor Gnatenko <ignate...@redhat.com>
> >
> > Replacing obsoleted YUM/DNF databases (yumdb, historydb,
> > groups.json)
> > with new unified sqlite database adapted to the current needs of
> > DNF.
> >
> > == Detailed Description ==
> > Using single unified database with shared interface enhances data
> > integrity, safety and performance of package managers in Fedora.
> > Database is easily expandable for new features (Modularity support
> > in
> > DNF will use SWDB).
>
> That change affects the core functionality of the system, but the
> description is missing some useful details that'll help evaluate the
> impact for people who are not intimately involved in dnf and
> packagekit:
>
> - Some details about which databases are replaced (e.g. paths in
>   filesystem to the db), and details where the new database is so
> people
>   can introspect this change more easily.
Actually, everything under /var/lib/dnf

> - Does "enhances data integrity, safety" really mean that dnf and
>   packagekit will show the same history and provenience of packages?
>   (Or was the old db unsafe?)
Both

> - Any numbers of the performance part?
Eduard should know

> - Are new deps required in dnf or packagekit? Are any removed?
libsqlite3.so, but since it has been required by python (which is used
by dnf) and directly by PackageKit is not a problem

> - Will selinux changes be required?
Not expected

https://github.com/rpm-software-management/dnf/pull/785
https://github.com/rpm-software-management/libdnf/pull/199

> > Port PackageKit to SWDB
>
> Link to WIP patches?
Probably only locally on

> Incidentally, that GSOC page has a lot of interesting details, but it
> talks about F24, so it's unclear if all of it is up to date, and
> anyway
> I think this should all be part of the change page, not buried in
> links.

Thanks a lot for reading carefully and asking such questions. I will
make sure that all details will be added to Change Page 😉

> Zbyszek

- --
- -Igor Gnatenko