On 22/07/17 17:53, Chris Murphy wrote:

Is this expected behavior? Or is it a bug? And if it's a bug, how do I
collect the necessary information for a bug report? This problem
happens often, but not every day.

[chris@f26h Downloads]$ sudo dnf install *rpm
Here you are root.

And then in another Terminal tab hardly 25 minutes later it wants to
download the exact same repo metadata again. Why?

[chris@f26h Downloads]$ dnf search openjpeg

Here you aren't root so it's not using the same cache, because it can't write to the root owned cache so it creates a temporary cache owned by your user.

I'm not sure how dnf does it it but IIRC yum used to create the per-user cache in /tmp so it would persist until /tmp got cleaned.

This is why I always run dnf commands (even things like list or search) as root so that I get the advantage of the shared cache ;-)

Tom

--
Tom Hughes (t...@compton.nu)
http://compton.nu/