On 28.7.2017 09:51, Nick Coghlan wrote:
On 28 July 2017 at 03:15, Zbigniew Jędrzejewski-Szmek <zbys...@in.waw.pl> wrote:
Do you think it'd be possible to script the python-foo to python2-foo
renaming? If yes, then maybe it'd make sense to just get some pps to
do it in rawhide now and get the "easy" part done with? That should
significantly cut down on the number of misnamed packages and let
packagers spend their times on the ones where the automatic way is not
obvious.

I was going to ask whether it might be possible to tweak
http://fedora.portingdb.xyz/ to also report on compliance with the
naming policy, but then I went and saw that it *does* already report
on that: http://fedora.portingdb.xyz/namingpolicy/

While it also turns out the wiki page already links to that page, it
may be good to call it out a second time in a "How can I help?"
section.

I've just added that section. However, feel free to reword it or add stuff. Thanks for the suggestion.

Checking an initial sampling of spec files (python-d2to1,
python-BeautfulSoup, python-amqplib) suggests to me that a script
implementing the following rules might offer a reasonably start point,
at least for Python-2-only modules that are remaining Python-2-only:

- immediately before the first BuildRequires or Requires entry, add a
%package section header for "-n python2-<name>" (where "<name>" is the
lowercased package source name with any "python-" prefix stripped)
- add a %python_provides entry after the new package header in
accordance with the current guidelines
- if the original package provided a non-lowercase "python-*"
provides, remote it and add a second %python_provides with the
original capitalisation
- if the source package lacks the "python-" prefix, add a virtual
provides for the unqualified package name
- add a "-n python2-<name>" qualifier to any currently unqualified
description and files sections

This get's problematic once there spec files are full of macros.
However, feel free to work with Zbyszek, maybe you'll find it less complicating than we did.

A script like that may even do a tolerable job for packages that *do*
offer Python 3 subpackages (since those will already have qualifiers,
and will necessarily appear after any unqualified runtime and build
requirements for the default subpackage).

Cheers,
Nick.

--
Miro Hrončok