Dear all,

About ten days ago I asked a question on this list, but I guess on one
hand it was too specific, while on the other it coincided with people
travelling to Flock or being on vacation. As I really want to get the
package in question back in Fedora, I will ask again and I will try to
be more abstract and concise. For anyone interested, there is a link
to the original post at the end of this message.

Package foo, which depends on library bar for importing a certain type
of files, was retired a couple of releases ago. The library is still
in Fedora, in two different versions, with different functionality
(bar2-2.0.0 & bar-oldsnapshot), but no other package depends on it.

Since the retirement, both foo and bar saw active development with
both projects sharing a few contributors; foo has had a number of
public releases whereas bar hasn't had any, but there is an unreleased
newer version (bar-3.0.0) in its VCS.

Up to a specific release, the bar version bundled with foo was
identical with upstream bar; that is no longer the case, as the
bundled library is closer to that of the final public release, while
the upstream version has been tweaked to work with a third program,
which is also included in Fedora, but does not make use of the bar
library. The upstream bar version won't work with foo for the moment.

I have spoken with the upstream developers and I was told that both
branches will merge back before the bar-3.0.0 public release.

So what I am asking is this: Is it OK if I (re)introduce two packages,
foo and bar3, obsoleting bar and bar2 at the same time, but using
foo's source for bar or should I opt to keep bar bundled with foo,
until the two different forks are reunited?

Best regards
Alex

https://lists.fedoraproject.org/archives/list/devel@lists.fedoraproject.org/thread/EMVB3JGM5AZVVO7NA3E7DHJLB32CMJJW/