> Hello everyone,
>
> I'm a research student pursuing my Masters in IIIT-Hyderabad. I am keen on
> working on the 389 Directory Server project for Outreachy.
>
> I have prior experience in configuring, maintaining and managing systems
> in an MHRD(Ministry of Human Resource Development, India) funded project. I
> have completed the required course credits towards my degree and am working
> on my Thesis currently. This would be great a opportunity for me to learn
> and start contributing to the open source community at Fedora.
>
> As I am a bit new to the community it would be nice if anyone could guide
> me to a few useful resources to get me started. I started reading the
> documentation [1].
>
> [1] http://www.port389.org/
>
> Cheers,
> Soumya

Hello and welcome!

You can find some general guidelines about contributing to the project
here: http://www.port389.org/docs/389ds/contributing.html

If you haven't setup the server already I suggest you start by building the
server and try some basic operations like ldapsearch or creating users and
groups in order to experiment a bit. You can find build instructions on the
above link as well.

RHDS documentation will also be your friend, especially the Administration
Guide: https://access.redhat.com/documentation/en/red-hat-directory-server/

Don't waste too much time with these guides now, just skim through them.
You'll refer to them when needed.

I don't know what the Outreachy project will be about, but if it involves
lib389, wibrown offers some initial directions here:
https://lists.fedoraproject.org/archives/list/389-devel@
lists.fedoraproject.org/message/TJS7IS7MGERQIME53DSIYMDUHEYTJYZ4/

You could try to install lib389 and experiment with the cli tools (dsconf,
dsctl, dsidm) as well and see what's there and what's missing.

Hope that helps,

Ilias