On Mon, Dec 18, 2017 at 01:05:03PM +0000, Stephen Gallagher wrote:
> On Sun, Dec 17, 2017 at 3:16 PM Zbigniew Jędrzejewski-Szmek <
> zbys...@in.waw.pl> wrote:
>
> > Dear fellow Fedora developers,
> >
> > I plan to execute part 2 of the renaming. First part was announced and
> > discussed here [1]. Recently, Iryna Shcherbina announced [2] plans for
> > a follow up: changing the requirements. Before that happens I want to
> > finish my renaming. In this round my changes are rather small, only
> > ~80 packages, see the lists below. There's various packages which either
> > are not on the porting-db list [3], or are particularly complicated [4],
> > or have been fixed in git but don't build, all of which I'm ignoring
> > for now.
> >
> > Short description:
> > binary Python2 subpackages with a name starting with "python-" or
> > ending with "-python" will be renamed to "python2-…". Provides/Obsoletes
> > for the old name are of course added, so upgrades should work and other
> > packages using the old names do not need to be adjusted.
> >
> > In the first round, packages which had Requires/Provides under
> > conditionals were skipped. In this round the renamer script [5] was
> > improved to support such cases.
> >
> > Timeline:
> > If nothing pops up, I'll push the changes and to the rebuilds on Friday.
> >

> This timeline is a bit concerning. Friday marks the start of the lowest
> maintainer activity each year. A huge subset of the Fedora community goes
> away to enjoy their winter holidays.
>
> I think pushing a mass-packaging change on this schedule would be a really
> bad idea. It *will* result in breakage. I'd suggest postponing the change
> until January 2nd.

Actually that's on purpose: I wanted to do the rebuilds over the
holidays, without bothering anybody or interfering with anybody's
work. In case there are any regressions, people will most likely
report them early in January so there'll be time to fix everything
when everybody is back to work and fresh.

Zbyszek