On Tue, Jan 9, 2018 at 5:51 PM, David Kaspar [Dee'Kej]
<dkas...@redhat.com> wrote:
> Hello guys! :)
>
> Initial NOTE: I have made some bigger changes in Ghostscript package during
> the cleanup, which should be self-contained. In my opinion those changes are
> not so significant to create "self-contained change" wiki page for it (for
> F28), but if the consensus of people here will be the opposite, then I will
> create it additionally...

Overall, I think this is awesome. Just some questions and nits below...

> ->> These subpackages contain files that only a small amount of people will
> ever need. Having them in a separate subpackages will avoid polluting users'
> filesystem after fresh F28+ installations.
>
> * ghostscript-core -- has became an empty metapackage for upgrade purposes.
> It will be removed once Fedora 28 is EOL, and all other packages has updated
> their specfiles to require correct subpackages.
>
> ->> This metapackage makes sure that upgrade from old package layout to new
> package layout should be smooth (tested in F27).

Is there a specific bug that forces us to require we have transitional
packages like this? RPM's Conflicts+Obsoletes logic is powerful enough
to allow us to avoid this.

> * LPR setup scripts are no longer being shipped. In case people still need
> those, then 'ghostscript-tools-lpr' will be created for it.
> * examples/ from 'ghostscript-doc' are no longer shipped.
> * Documentation and resources paths no longer contain version string inside
> of them.

Why are examples not shipped? For documentation, this seems to be
fine, especially since it's a separate subpackage anyway.

> * Support for /usr/share/ghostscript/conf.d/ folder was dropped to use
> Ghostscript's default choice for rendering of CJK glyphs, which is Google
> Droid Sans Fallback font. In case this proves insufficient, the conf.d/
> folder support will be re-established.
>
> ->> This change is still being discussed with Peng Wu and Akira Tagoh. So
> far, we have agreed to this change, but I will be ready to revert it in case
> people depending on printing CJK-based texts will have any problems. In case
> the Ghostscript's default functionality would prove to be sufficent and work
> OK, then the 'ghostscript-chinese' package could be retired as a result.
> ->> For now, we are also waiting for rebase of 'google-droid-fonts' for
> Ghostscript to have the latest version of Droid Sans Fallback font and thus
> the latest CJK glyphs coverage.

I'm confused why we would drop support for conf.d directories. Unless
it's completely unavoidable, I don't see why we would do this. We
can't possibly know of everyone who might be using them, and generally
speaking, I'd like to see more software configurable this way, not
less.