Hi there,

I had a short glimpse at the review request for dojo (#609817) today and
saw that it explicitly requires httpd. Well, dojo is a collection of
static JavaScript files so I feel that there is no reason why it should
require httpd explicitly as I don't see what special features of Apache
it needs.
That led me to run a repoquery --whatrequires httpd and from that I
found out that many webapps that we package in Fedora explicitly require
httpd. In Fedora we have a meta-provides 'webserver' that should be used
instead. Especially if there is no real reason to explicitly use httpd
instead.
But as many of those webapps bring their own Apache configuration files
for an out of the box experience I wonder how we could remedy this.
Lighttpd and nginx for example have a conf.d directory, too, and maybe
we could move webserver specific configuration to subpackages. Cherokee,
unfortunately, lacks such option at the moment.

Any comments or ideas on this topic?

Felix