Marcel Oliver wrote:
> Since I upgraded to F27, the KDE print dialog (for me the most
> relevant application is okular) fails to see the available printer
> options, nor does it see the printer defaults.  It also does not save
> changed settings from one print job to the next.  Other applications
> (firefox, libreoffice, evince, ...)  see the CUPS settings just fine.
>
> This happens on the cinnamon desktop (Fedora cinnamon spin).
>
> I do not know if this is a KDE problem, a problem with KDE integration
> in Fedora in general, or with the cinnamon spin in particular, or
> possibly related to CUPS, but would be willing to help debug the
> issue.

This is actually a limitation (you can call it feature regression if you
want) in Qt 5 that has been there since Qt 5.0.0. The reason you have not
seen it before Fedora 27 is because Okular was still using Qt 4 until Fedora
25 (included). (I guess you skipped Fedora 26, because that already had a Qt
5 version of Okular.)

Thankfully, as Rex Dieter points out, this is finally being addressed in Qt
5.11 (see https://wiki.qt.io/New_Features_in_Qt_5.11 and
https://bugreports.qt.io/browse/QTBUG-54464). Unfortunately, that release is
still a few months away from now. (Qt upstream currently expects to release
Qt 5.11.0 on May 31.) I would actually argue that we should backport this to
our packages sooner, backports from OpenSUSE are linked in QTBUG-54464. But
I am not a maintainer of qt5-qtbase, so it is not my decision to make.

        Kevin Kofler