On Fri, Mar 23, 2018 at 7:29 AM, Matěj Cepl <mc...@cepl.eu> wrote:
> Just a note of warning: don’t to be too over-eager with dropping
> everything Python 2 related in EPEL-7. Its EOS is only sometime
> after 2024
> (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_Hat_Enterprise_Linux#Product_life_cycle)
> and the question whether the packages which can use both Python2
> and Python3 as its dependency (e.g., youtube-dl) should switch
> to Python3 or use the base RHEL-provided Python 2.7.

And please don't start dropping python 2 subpackages that are actually
used by other packages in Fedora without talking to the maintainers
first.  I just got bitten by this change to python-nose-cov:

* Thu Mar 22 2018 John Dulaney <jdula...@fedoraproject.org> - 1.6-13 -
Drop python2 subpackage

And now koschei is sending me emails about how all of my packages that
use python-nose-cov have broken dependencies in Rawhide.  I'm not
ready to drop python2 support for those packages yet; they are
dependencies of still other packages.  We need to start this process
from the leaves and work back towards the roots, not the other way
around.

For each of these, I can of course simply run %check for the python3
subpackage, and skip the python2 subpackage, but then breakages to the
python2 subpackage might go unnoticed.
--
Jerry James
http://www.jamezone.org/