On 2018-04-30 09:01, mcatanz...@gnome.org wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 30, 2018 at 7:52 AM, Florian Weimer <fwei...@redhat.com> wrote:
>> Such we change the guidelines to always run autoreconf?  This would
>> also help with new architecture bringup because those often need
>> autotools fixes, but it will choke on really old or manually patched
>> upstream configure scripts.
>
> Some packages will not build when autoreconf is called outside
> autogen.sh, and these packages typically do not distribute autogen.sh.
> E.g. gedit.

gedit, like most GNOME components, uses gnome-autogen.sh; in this
particular case, iirc ACLOCAL_PATH="libgd" also needs to be set.

> Packagers would need to work around such issues.

FWIW, running autoreconf in one form or another (either directly, or
e.g. gnome-autogen.sh or mate-autogen) is standard procedure on Cygwin.
While this doesn't work on certain packages, the vast majority can be
autoreconf'd.

--
Yaakov Selkowitz
Software Engineer - Platform Enablement Group