Rahul Sundaram wrote:
> Nevertheless, if you really want to try this method,  use
> http://repos.fedorapeople.org,

No thanks. repos.fedorapeople.org is a very sorry excuse for a PPA
infrastructure, it's basically only storage with a list of repos, you have
to manage everything by hand, there's no build system integration of any
kind (e.g. if you try to build 2 packages which depend on each other, you
have to build them outside of Koji; and there's also no direct upload from
Koji), you can't even run createrepo on the server (or at least the
instructions explicitly tell you not to)! I already have more helpful
infrastructure than that on repo.calcforge.org, at least I can run
createrepo and repoview on the server, and I can also maintain my specfiles
and patches on svn.calcforge.org. (And I used to think that my
infrastructure is very poor due to how much stuff I have to manage manually.
Guess what, the one now officially offered to us is worse!)

What is needed to offer proper support for personal repositories:
* automatic creation of *-release packages,
* self-populating Koji build targets, so dependent packages can be built,
* automatic (maybe triggered by Bodhi or some similar tool) uploading of
build results from Koji, including signing the output and running createrepo
and repoview,
* revision control for the custom packages. (Yes, git allows me to put up a
repo on my HDD or on fedorapeople.org. No, I don't want to have to do this
manually, and a local repo on my HDD makes me vulnerable to data loss. Plus,
the manual approach means every maintainer will put his repositories in a
different place, so good luck finding some maintainer's repository if you
need it.)

Frankly, repos.fedorapeople.org is really poor compared to e.g. the OpenSUSE
Build Service (OBS), and in fact I'd recommend the latter (it can also
target Fedora) if it weren't for some important issues with their Fedora
targets: they don't support Rawhide nor Branched (at least last I checked),
they build against GA with no updates (unless they fixed that recently) and
they do strange things to specfiles (like automatically bumping Revision)
and encourage the use of constructs which don't work outside of OBS.

        Kevin Kofler