On 14 May 2018 at 11:41, David Kaspar [Dee'Kej] <dkas...@redhat.com> wrote:
> On Mon, May 14, 2018 at 5:27 PM, R P Herrold <herr...@owlriver.com> wrote:
>>
>> On Mon, 14 May 2018, David Kaspar [Dee'Kej] wrote:
>>
>> > does anybody know if the files /etc/profile.d/lang.{csh,sh} are still
>> > used
>> > these days, and what for?
>>
>> by their terms, they are a collection of I18N and environment
>> settings.
>

> My question was more meant in a sense "are those files still necessary"? :)
> I expect they were created to deal with some problems with locale setting,
> but from just looking into them it's hard for me to guess what the initial
> purpose of them were... :)
>

>> > Do we still need them in Fedora?
>>
>> Are you asking if /bin/sh, and /bin/tcsh are still installed
>> or used?  I certainly install ande use each
>

> Let me rephrase - if those files are gone completely, will it break
> anything? Isn't the functionality of those scripts obsolete nowadays?
>

>> > Should they be installed by default these days?
>>
>> One assumes the files could be moved out to 'bash' and 'tcsh'
>> packagings, if the (unstated) goal is to eliminate
>> 'initscripts' as a standalone package
>

> I'd like to remove them completely if possible, but I don't want to break
> anything for our users. That's why I would like to know the initial purpose
> of those files, and if they are still really needed nowadays... :)

A quick review of the files says that all kinds of user related things
will probably "break" from other scripts expecting specific collation
to reports on 'XYZ application is so slooooow' because it is not
getting language setup correctly. [I believe that some of the fixes in
there were from when UTF-8 was coming into play and startup of the
system got slow because every startup script was parsing things in 8+
bit wide when they didn't need to.. this filtered down to fixing speed
issues for users.]

I guess the question is more like: Is this an initscripts problem or
some other part of the OS. If initscripts plans to remove it, I would
definitely expect a systems change because it is going to silently
affect a lot of things which have been getting a 'free' ride from that
environment setup over the years. Some of the problems are probably
fixed, but I expect others are just expecting those .sh to do their
job.

--
Stephen J Smoogen.