On Tue, May 15, 2018 at 12:29 PM Josh Boyer <jwbo...@fedoraproject.org>
wrote:

> On Tue, May 15, 2018 at 12:21 PM Jan Kurik <jku...@redhat.com> wrote:
>
> > = Proposed System Wide Change: Let's Label Our Variants! =
> > https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Changes/Label_Our_Variants
>

> > Owner(s):
> >    * Matthew Miller <mattdm fedoraproject org>
> >    * Mohan Boddu <mohanboddu fedoraproject org>
>

> > Start using the VARIANT and VARIANT_ID fields in /etc/os-release for
> > Spins, Labs and the base container image rather than just the main
> > Fedora Editions.
>

> > == Detailed description ==
> > Right now, we use the VARIANT field (and machine-readable VARIANT_ID)
> > in /etc/os-release) only for the main Fedora Editions (and Fedora
> > Cloud Base, because of its history as an edition previously). This
> > means we can't tell the difference between a KDE desktop spin, a
> > container image, or just a generic netinstall constructed into a
> > custom system unlike any of our various flavors. Let's start using it
> > widely.
>
> Variant definitions seem like they're really only valid for things like
> install media and container images.  They express intent well enough for
> what the spin or Edition is for, but after installation the package set
> deviates widely.  We can't assume something that has the Server variant in
> /etc/os-release is actually representative of anything Fedora ships as
> Server without doing a package comparison along the way.  If we're using
> variant to count anything, I think we need to scope it only to "initial
> installations".

The fedora-release-$VARIANT subpackage also provides a set of Requires:
that indicates a minimum set of packages that must be on the system for it
to still call itself "Server Edition". (For example, if you tried to remove
the 'cockpit-ws' package, it would result in fedora-release-server being
removed and /etc/os-release going back to the non-edition content)

So we *can* rely on this indicating a minimum level of functionality on the
system.