On Mi, 16.05.18 15:01, Florian Weimer (fwei...@redhat.com) wrote:

> In Fedora, for historic reasons, we run “/sbin/telinit u” after installing a
> new glibc RPM package version.
>
> Does this still make sense?  Should we remove the code which invokes telinit
> from the glibc package?

So I am pretty sure this is about not keeping the old .so images maps
pinned for good, i.e. so that they can be removed from disk and don't
keep the file system busy. This isn't really necessary in systemd
though, as we will always execve() from PID1 into a new process during
shutdown, which should drop all pinned pages anyway, unconditionally
and always.

Hence, no I don't think this needs to be there. I mean, I would see
value if we could unpin the old mapped .so images system-wide,
comprehensively, right away, but such a concept doesn't exist, we only
can can do this for some services, and it's racy and hence nothing we
should attempt. Doing this just for PID 1 hence doesn't really help
much, it's a drop of water on a hot stone.

Hence, please go aahead and drop it from the rpm scripts.

Lennart

--
Lennart Poettering, Red Hat