>>>>> "RWMJ" == Richard W M Jones <rjo...@redhat.com> writes:

RWMJ> But wouldn't a single package in fact be preferable, as it'll be
RWMJ> simpler than maintaining multiple packages:

I would argue that it's far from preferable, because you would have
multiple things on different release schedules in one package.  A change
in one version, or adding a new version, forces a pointless update on
all of the subpackages.  (Texlive is an extreme example of how bad this
is.)

That said, texlive is also an example of how this kind of thing has been
reluctantly permitted in the past, but in the case of texlive it's
really only due to that being how the pre-texlive packaging was
historically maintained.  I certainly wouldn't advocate to anything
purposefully switching to that method.

Finally, my understanding is that the packaging guidelines are silent on
the issue.

 - J<