Nico Kadel-Garcia wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 15, 2018 at 12:55 PM, Till Maas <opensou...@till.name> wrote:
> > So the assumption is to have a super sophisticated browser exploit for which
> > an attacker most likely spent several days to find it and then the PATH
> > setting will make it so much harder that the exploit will not succeed? There
> > are a lot more real challenges that attackers have to face.
>
> No "browser" sophistication is necessary. The replacement of default
> system utilities by anyone who write into that private but
> semi-concealed $HOME/.local/bin/

And how did the attacker acquire write access to $HOME/.local/bin/ in
the first place? Do you know of a way to do that so easily that
appending a line to one of the shell startup files seems sophisticated
in comparison?

I don't much like the proposed change to PATH, but I'm getting *really*
sick of all the security by handwaving that's going on in this thread.
Could everybody please discuss *relevant* attack scenarios, instead of
scenarios that begin with the attacker already having so much access
that the value of PATH doesn't matter?

Björn Persson