Gerd Hoffmann wrote:
> If someone wants keep 32bit fedora alive for pre-sse2 hardware I think
> the only reasonable thing would be to undust the i586 target, then go
> build software which requires sse2 as --target i686 and everything else
> as --target i586, i.e. basically stop the effort to patch software for
> non-sse2 hardware.  pre-sse2 hardware would have the i586 packages
> available only.

Most upstreams that hardcode SSE2 also do not distinguish between various
i*86. They just check for x86 and use SSE2 instructions there, or even just
use SSE2 instructions unconditionally (making them entirely x86/x86_64-
only). So --target i586 isn't going to do anything for them. Rust seems to
be the one case where it would help.

        Kevin Kofler