On Wed, Jun 20, 2018 at 02:15:00PM +0200, Severin Gehwolf wrote:
> On Wed, 2018-06-20 at 07:59 -0400, Josh Boyer wrote:
> > On Wed, Jun 20, 2018 at 7:52 AM Severin Gehwolf <sgehw...@redhat.com> wrote:
> > >
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > I'm exploring the Fedora Modularity world and would like to know
> > > whether it's possible to have two different module streams install two
> > > different sets of packages? If that's possible, would installing one
> > > stream remove the packages from the other stream even though the set of
> > > packages don't overlap? I'm aware that it's not a goal of modularity to
> > > support parallel installability. But what if the packages themselves
> > > already allow parallel installability?
> > >
> > > Example:
> > >
> > > Module name: jdk
> > > Streams: 8, 11
> > >
> > > 1) "dnf module install jdk:8/default" installs these packages:
> > >
> > > java-1.8.0-openjdk
> > > java-1.8.0-openjdk-devel
> > > java-1.8.0-openjdk-headless
> > >
> > > 2) "dnf module install jdk:11/default" installs these packages:
> > >
> > > java-11-openjdk
> > > java-11-openjdk-headless
> > > java-11-openjdk-devel
> > >
> > > After 1) *and* 2) would I have both module streams' packages on my
> > > system? Would I have only the set from 2) with 1) removed?
> >
> > I think you would only have the set from 2.
> >
> > Parallel installation can't be done via streams, so it must be done at
> > the module level.  So you'd have jdk8 and jdk11 modules, each with a
> > default stream.  Given the default is specified, an installation would
> > look something like:
> >
> > "dnf module install jdk8; dnf module install jdk11"
>
> That's interesting, thanks!
>
> FWIW, I've tried the reverse :) I had jdk10 and jdk11 both specifying
> packages java-openjdk{,-devel,-headless} and the install of jdk11
> *upgraded* packages from the other (jdk10) module.

You could still do it with streams and simply encourage users
who need both to use containers, one with each stream stream
enabled :)

Parallel installation of streams on a single system indeed
isn't supported at this point and isn't planned anytime in the
near future.  In general it's a more complicated problem than
it might seem at first.