On 06/28/2018 03:34 PM, Josh Boyer wrote:
To answer the ecosystem question... if I were an EL shop that had been
using yum and writing scripts to interact with yum for years, and then
I had to rewrite all of my scripts and retrain my muscle memory to
call a new command that had similar semantics and compatibility, I'd
be pretty annoyed.  Having dnf in CentOS 7 is a way to help users that
use both Fedora and EL avoid that problem, which is good.

To tie two recent devel list threads, this is a perfect use case for a ~/bin being first in PATH: a ~/bin/yum -> /bin/dnf symlink for those that don't want to rewrite scripts.

For the record, I was against introducing dnf as a separate command---I thought (and still think) that it should be yum v.3 (or whatever next major version was due at that time). Having said that, once the decision has been made, I just got on with it, even though I use a mix of Fedora and EL/RHEL so I have to remember which is which and use both yum and dnf commands.