On Tue, Jul 3, 2018 at 4:23 AM Jan Kurik <jku...@redhat.com> wrote:

> Note from Change Wrangler: This Change Proposal requires mass rebuild.
> However, two weeks ago (June 19th), we have already passed the
> deadline for Change proposals requiring mass rebuild. I will leave the
> decision whether this Change proposal is accepted or not to RelEng and
> FESCo teams.
>
> = Proposed System Wide Change: Remove Excessive Linking =
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Changes/RemoveExcessiveLinking
>

> Owner(s):
>   * Igor Gnatenko <ignatenkobrain at fedoraproject dot org>
>   * Neal Gompa <ngompa13 at gmail dot com>
>

> Pass "--as-needed" flag the linker through default system-wide LDFLAGS.
>

> == Detailed description ==
> The flag ("--as-needed") tells the linker to link in the produced
> binary only the libraries containing symbols actually used by the
> binary itself. This binary can be either a final executale or another
> library.
> The use of the "--as-needed" flag allows the linker to avoid linking
> extra libraries in a binary. This not only improves startup times (as
> the loader does not have to load all the libraries for every step) but
> might avoid the full initialization of big frameworks.
>

> == Scope ==
> * Proposal owners:
> Add "-Wl,--as-needed" into RPM_LD_FLAGS (in redhat-rpm-config).
>
> * Other developers:
> Nothing should break, but immediate work-around would be to disable
> this flag (will be provided in redhat-rpm-config) and fix real issue
> later.
>
> * Release engineering:
> #7604 [https://pagure.io/releng/issue/7604] (mass rebuild is desired
> after this change).
>
> ** List of deliverables:
> N/A (not a System Wide Change)
>
> * Policies and guidelines:
> Add information how to turn it off (TODO link to FPC ticket).
>
> * Trademark approval:
> N/A (not needed for this Change)
> --
> Jan Kuřík
> JBoss EAP Program Manager
> Red Hat Czech s.r.o., Purkynova 99/71
> <https://maps.google.com/?q=Purkynova+99/71&entry=gmail&source=g>, 612 45
> Brno, Czech Republic

Changes that require or "desire" a mass-rebuild should have been submitted
by June 19th.

I can't find the reference offhand, but I feel like I remember that FESCo
has ruled in the past that any changes to the default buildroot or compiler
flags must be implemented as part of a mass-rebuild, to catch the fallout
all at once. So with my FESCo hat on, I'm -1 to this change for F29, but
I'm a strong +1 to implementing it for F30 in Rawhide immediately after we
branch.