On Thu, Aug 02, 2018 at 02:45:54PM -0500, Michael Cronenworth wrote:
> On 07/27/2018 08:28 AM, Jakub Cajka wrote:
> >    There are few big outstanding issues that needs to be solved that need
> > more than individual work, most notably the Go packaging guidelines and
> > tooling. I think that should be one of the first tasks for the SIG.
>
> I'm not looking to join the SIG, but I will share my experience with golang
> in Fedora.
>
> It appears that packages are being dumped into Fedora and forgotten about.
> I'm trying to package "Packer"[1] and ran into multiple dependencies that
> were committed once and never updated. This has to change.

In my experience, the tough parts about these dependencies that got
forgot about are:

1) they are only dependencies, nobody uses them for anything else;
2) many of them are not versioned upstream (we just have references to
commits)
3) different applications that depend on them may need different
revisions of them.

while solving 3 is part of our duty as packagers (making sure to port the
dependencies to use the latest versions of their dependencies), 2 seems
to be quite common in the golang community...

--
Athos Ribeiro

http://www.ime.usp.br/~athoscr