On Fr, 05.10.18 19:31, Kamil Paral (kpa...@redhat.com) wrote:

> (cross-posting to devel and desktop lists, ideally reply to both)

Coincidentally, at All Systems Go! in Berlin last week I had some
discussions with kernel people about RLIMIT_NOFILE defaults. They
basically suggested that the memory and performance cost of large
numbers of fds on current kernels is cheap, and that we should bump
the hard limit in systemd for all userspace processes.

I have thus prepared this a few days ago:

https://github.com/systemd/systemd/pull/10244

This should have the effect on systemd systems that do not patch
around in RLIMIT_NOFILE otherwise that the new default hard limit for
all userspace is 256K (though the soft limit remains at 1K, for compat
with select()). AFAIK Fedora doesn't override RLIMIT_NOFILE
artificially, hence these new systemd upstream defaults should trickle
down to Fedora too.

This is not quite the 1M you appear to ask for though… I picked 256K
mostly because I wanted to stay lower than the kernel built-in max
(which is 1M, i.e. /proc/sys/fs/nr_open), and needed to pick
something. Do you have any particular reason to prefer 1M over 256K? I
am completely open to suggestions there...

Lennart

--
Lennart Poettering, Red Hat