On Mo, 15.10.18 18:00, Kamil Paral (kpa...@redhat.com) wrote:

> On Tue, Oct 9, 2018 at 6:15 PM Lennart Poettering <mzerq...@0pointer.de>
> wrote:

> > > Can we not have the RPM package drop a file in /etc/security/limits.d
> > > to set the limit only when that package is installed?  That way it
> > > only affects users of that package.
> >
> > That only affects stuff that goes through PAM (specifically, all PAM
> > stacks that include pam_limits.so).
> >
> > It is my intention to change this system wide, i.e. for system
> > services (which do not go through PAM) too.
> >

> Lennart, what is the path forward here? Should we pull in some security
> experts to give us recommendations on the best default value? Or are those
> conversations already happening somewhere else? Also, do you need any more
> information regarding the Wine esync use case, or has Zebediah provided
> sufficient data?

Please follow the current state of this here:

https://github.com/systemd/systemd/pull/10244

I have been discussing with some upstream kernel folks, and some more
obstacles showed up (specifically, I was advised that we really should
bump fs.file-max and fs.nr_open sysctls to their maximums these days,
as these limits are not really useful anymore given that fd memory is
properly tracked by memcg anyways these days), which I have now
covered in the PR above.

This is waiting for review, but should enter systemd upstream soon,
and will then eventually trickle into Fedora.

Lennart

--
Lennart Poettering, Red Hat