On Wed, Oct 17, 2018 at 07:23:28AM -0700, Gerald B. Cox wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 17, 2018 at 5:07 AM Dominik 'Rathann' Mierzejewski <
> domi...@greysector.net> wrote:
> > I tried the mailing list mode to have it send me e-mail messages,
> > but the messages are multipart/alternative (html+text) with the
> > text part mangled and containing pieces of HTML code. Failure here
> > as well.
>
> Could this be because of the particular email client you're using?  I use
> gmail and they look fine.  Probably not fair to judge the system on the
> capabilities
> of your email client.  Wouldn't the same thing happen if people sent you
> email from
> gmail, etc. with embedded html?   What the mailing list mode does do is to
> allow you to
> read and respond without a browser.

No, if an email sender (Discourse) uses multipart/alternative with two
attachments, text/plain and text/html, then it is required that the
sender format the text/plain part as text with no HTML in it.  It is
also required to send semantically similar contents in both the
text/plain and text/html parts, so that the text/plain part can act as
a real human-readable alternative in the multipart/alternative message
(i.e. it shouldn't set the text/plain part to be something like "Your
email client doesn't support HTML.  Please open this message in an
HTML-capable client.")

In my experience so far with the 3 messages I've received from
Discourse in mailing-list mode, it doesn't send raw HTML in the
text/plain attachment.  It sends something that looks like BBcode:

[quote="znmeb, post:12, topic:129, full:true"]
GitHub is best for discovery - nobody searches GitLab or Bitbucket for
projects. I use them for private repos, but if I want to engage a
wider community than my workstation or laptop, I’m going to put my
repo on GitHub.
[/quote]