On Tue, Nov 06, 2018 at 01:54:54AM +0100, Kevin Kofler wrote:
> Fabio Valentini wrote:
> > I have to say, making core, non-leaf packages available as modules
> > only sounds like a *terrible* idea to me.
> > I don't want to have to deal with this uncooked mess if I just want to
> > do standard packaging.
>
> +1. And, for that matter, that goes even for standard USING, as you implied
> in the previous paragraph:
>
> > Because I don't even have the "-modular" repositories enabled on my
> > f29 system, and I'll keep it that way.
>
> As you explained pretty well, it does not make sense to FORCE modules onto
> users. Even less so if those packages are dependencies of other packages
> outside of the module walled garden. Ursa Major is a crude hack to make that
> broken setup work.

This is not about forcing modules unto people. The drive comes from
the other direction: packages want to be available only as modules,
and this is a work-around to allow them to be used as build dependencies.
So this change is driven by packagers who want to use modules for
*their own packages*.

I'm with you in the sense that I too fail to see practical benefits of
modules so far. But e.g. the java-sig says it makes their life easier,
and it is their choice. The decision was made to proceed with
modularity in Fedora. Once that decision was made, we cannot forbid
packagers from making use of the new functionality. This further step
is only a natural consequence.

Zbyszek