On Tue, Nov 06, 2018 at 12:56:13PM -0500, Neal Gompa wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 6, 2018 at 12:26 PM Stephen Gallagher <sgall...@redhat.com> wrote:
> >
> > As a hypothetical example, maybe python-sphinx has a major
> > backwards-incompatible update that becomes the default in Fedora 30.
> > The package you maintain will only build its docs with the older Sphinx.
> > Without Ursa Major, you basically have two choices: 1) Stop building
> > the docs until upstream catches up to Sphinx, or 2) Try to write a patch
> > to support the new version of Sphinx. With Ursa Major, you potentially
> > gain 3) BuildRequires the previous version of Sphinx for your package.
>
> So, this statement is the core of what I don't like about modularity.
> Pitching it as a means of allowing people to "keep back" even in
> packages for the distribution is bad for a distribution that pushes
> forward. One of the major reasons I prefer Fedora to other
> distributions is that we contribute to the advancement of FOSS through
> our developers and packagers. This goes to the extent of helping
> upstreams port forward and leverage new versions and new
> functionality.

  Suprisingly, recently I've found use for modularity. It's a crutch
for bad software (OpenShift breaking backwards compatibility) but it
worked.
  Specifically, openshift CLI command 'oc' in version 3.11 does not
work anymore with cluster in version 3.7. I already downloaded rpms for
previous version, and was ready for dnf downgrade + exclude= in dnf.conf
when I thought about modules.
  And yes, there's a module with openshift-3.10. I've enabled it,
installed older client and was able to access our clusters once again.
And I hope to have updates and fixes provided by this module (which
would be troublesome in standard exclude= scenario).
  That's as an user. I'm still to discover the need for modularity
as a packager, but I'm not eager to.

--
Tomasz Torcz                "Funeral in the morning, IDE hacking
xmpp: zdzich...@chrome.pl    in the afternoon and evening." - Alan Cox