On Thursday, 15 November 2018 at 13:48, Florian Weimer wrote:
> * Przemek Klosowski:
>
> > I wonder if RedHat could be persuaded to modify their process to adopt
> > a Fedora release instead of forking it, and backport into that
> > release---let's call it "Fedora LTS a.k.a. CentOS Release Candidate"
> > (FLAC-RC :). It would require perhaps more effort on the part of
> > RedHat to avoid breakage in the middle of their development cycle, but
> > that's probably a good CI practice anyway.
>
> I'm not sure if the substantial changes in minor releases of Red Hat
> Enterprise Linux would be acceptable to device vendors.  Red Hat
> Enterprise Linux is a commercially supported distribution, but includes
> substantially more changes than typical LTS releases.

What's "typical LTS", then? If you want fewer changes then you're
looking at backporting security fixes only and that becomes a very
tedious task as time passes. And you want to talk Fedora community into
doing this? Good luck. I did such backports for a handful of EPEL
packages and it was a chore. I'd have to be paid a heapload of money to
work on such things on a daily basis.

I've seen these discussions repeat on fedora-devel over the years.
I don't expect it to be any different this time. Fedora LTS is
RHEL/CentOS, period. A rolling release would be nice to have, but
improving Rawhide would meet that objective just as well.

Regards,
Dominik
--
Fedora   https://getfedora.org  |  RPMFusion   http://rpmfusion.org