On Wed, Nov 28, 2018 at 1:49 PM Brian (bex) Exelbierd
<bexel...@redhat.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Nov 28, 2018 at 1:31 PM Igor Gnatenko
> <ignatenkobr...@fedoraproject.org> wrote:
> >
> > On Wed, Nov 28, 2018 at 1:14 PM Brian (bex) Exelbierd
> > <bexel...@redhat.com> wrote:

> > > I've failed to be clear - sorry about that.  Let me try again.
> > >
> > > Please remember that I tend think from the lens of user space, not
> > > kernel space.  So there may be detail errors in this, I am hoping the
> > > concepts are valid though.
> > >
> > > In general, I can run various versions of my applications against
> > > multiple different kernels, for example.  Therefore, if I have a
> > > kernel that changed once a year, it isn't going to, for many
> > > applications, stop me from changing versions multiple times during the
> > > year.  Therefore if Fedora had a stabilized bootable base, I could
> > > move my applications at the cadence of upstream, or a stabilized
> > > release (not at all) or at the speed in the middle I want.  Fedora
> > > might not build the entire range of that, but I am not prevented from
> > > choosing amongst multiple Fedora provided options (stable vs devel or
> > > all supported upstream releases, for example).
> >
> > So you mean that you want CentOS stable base and latest software you want?
>
> Nope.  I want CentOS to serve their user base.  If the CentOS project
> chooses to formally become part of Fedora and to release a
> longer-maintained base to their users under the banner of our mission,
> I welcome them with open arms.  But, that is their decision.
>
> I don't think Fedora wants to get into 10 year life cycles and that
> level of backporting.  But, accepting a new kernel/bootable base
> shouldn't force me to take a new version of LibreOffice, for example.

So what you are saying here is what "first" version of Modularity was
about. And it didn't work out because of many reasons. One of them is
no useful CI infrastructure (still not solved) which didn't allow
packagers to remove useless BuildRequires for tests (because rpmbuild
is still tte way to run test suite).

If we can get commitment from people who maintain "minimal viable
base" to move their tests to CI and get FTBFS fixes in time -- it
might work.

> [...]
> > > every 6 months to introduce new drivers and hardware support.  Someone
> > > who wants faster can self-build for their community/needs more
> > > frequently or a hardware vendor might want a kernel that doesn't
> > > change as often and is backported.  Fedora may not build the whole
> > > range here either.

> > > "Eliminate the compilers" was meant to mean, make them modules or
> > > non-bootable base components as much as possible.  I realize that for
> > > something like glibc that can be hard to impossible and for things
> > > like Fortran a non-issue.
> > >
> > > Communities have different needs, and every time we freeze or force
> > > change we create challenges for those needs to be met.  My point is
> > > that by keeping our base to the "light up the machine level (another
> > > hated idiom) and get containers/flatpaks/etc running" we can allow the
> > > builder to focus on their community's needs or the user to get their
> > > own too-fast/too-slow balance.
> > >
> > > What I'd like to forego is the long "what is base" conversation.  I'd
> > > pull it back to what does it take to boot the machine and get
> > > containers/flatpaks/modules running.  Everything after that should be
> > > flexible, even if we put down requirements and rules for the use cases
> > > we want to tackle and the pieces we build and deliver.

> > > Marketing Koolaid (in the interesting and love sense, not the
> > > pejorative) would be really good for Fedora right now, if we want
> > > increased adoption and contribution.  Flexibility to allow our mission
> > > statement to keep being true is critical.  I fully admit that my
> > > skills are not in distribution building and that you and others in
> > > this thread have those skills in greater capacity than I do.  But I
> > > don't hear anyone starting from the premise of our mission statement
> > > and then moving forward.  I feel like a build/distribution focused on
> > > easing the build process and ability to provide across the full
> > > too-fast/too-slow spectrum, even if we as a project don't fill the
> > > whole spectrum, is crucial to Fedora's ongoing success.
> >
> > I have nothing against, but stopping release for some mysterious
> > reasons seems bad idea, but if we get some specific goals which we try
> > to achieve -- I might even support this idea.
>
> I am not sure releases as a construct, are as useful in their current
> form to us today as they were in the past.  I (emphatically) do NOT
> want us to stop producing and releasing new software.  In fact, I want
> it released faster and more often, but without the accompanying user
> disruption of forced upgrade/rolling releases.  I want our
> editions/spins/labs/remixes/etc. to be able to assemble the Fedora
> that meet's their communities needs from the amazing pool of
> contributions the project as a whole has.
>
> Fedora may not build or even endorse everything that is made, but this
> allows our mission statement to be put into practice.  It allows
> Fedora to become the easiest distribution to base your solution on.

Yes, I fully support this.