On Fri, Dec 28, 2018 at 11:35 AM Avram Lubkin <av...@rockhopper.net> wrote:

> Looks like the dependency generator was turned on in rawhide. Igor has been
> making pull releases against packages because this is now creating duplicate
> requires for some packages. That would seem reasonable, but he never pushed
> the dependency generator to EPEL so packages which maintain a common spec
> file across branches require additional logic and it's creating more work
> instead of less work. The python-rpm-generators package doesn't even exist in
> EPEL. I started looking at what it would take to make it available, but the
> script that's used has no documentation and no tests.

python-rpm-generators is not the real upstream for that code (rpm is).
And testability would be a bit difficult because all the script does
is pull stuff from python module metadata using setuptools and print it out.
It's not going to exist in EPEL because in RHEL, the Python dependency
generator doesn't exist at all. If we enabled it for EPEL, we'd have broken
dependencies everywhere, since no RHEL Python modules would have the
necessary generated dependencies. If you'd like to ask Red Hat to add it to
RHEL 7, be my guest. However, I suspect they'll say no.

> I recommend we revert this to opt-in until a couple loose ends are tied up:
>  - Tests and a readme file are created for python-rpm-generators
>  - The functionality is made available in EPEL6 and EPEL7 (opt-in ok)
> (Requires python-rpm-generators RPM)

No. This functionality is not relevant to RHEL until a version of RHEL
includes it in the base. That will happen with RHEL 8, at which point
EPEL8 will have the functionality automatically. That's the whole
point of getting stuff like this done in Fedora first. This is why
this is a *Fedora 30 Change*.

A simple way to check if you should specify manually is to check if
%__pythondist_requires is undefined, like so:

%if ! %{defined __pythondist_requires}
Requires: python3-modA
Requires: python3-modB
%endif