On Tue, 8 Jan 2019 at 06:23, Miroslav Suchý <msu...@redhat.com> wrote:

> Dne 08. 01. 19 v 11:14 Reindl Harald napsal(a):
> > but the UUID is sent over TCP and so you receive the current IP at the
> > same time with the UUID and that way you can even pofile how that
> > machine is moved around the country
>
> But it is not - or to be precise - will not be stored as couple, so this
> information cannot be retrieved.

Unless you are somehow going to not use IP to get the data from client
to server.. it will be retrievable in multiple ways. The simplest is

Log A (http app) will have timestamp and uuid. Log B
(apache/nginx/etc) will have timestamp and ip. Log merge is possible.

Turning off Log B sounds like an option, but you turn off the ability
to troubleshoot if Log A is working or not. And if you aren't sure if
you have accurate data in Log A.. you are back where you started.

Turning off timestamp in log A is also problematic because we still
need to figure out things like 'when was the last time we saw it',
have we recorded it already within a timeframe, etc. Keeping it
ephemeral in memory is an idea but the usual 'oh we had to restart
this service because of a leak in the stack' makes that impractical.

Currently I have a hard time not seeing us needing the IP address. If
all I record is uuid.. what if we have 10k ips all with the same uuid?
How will we know? Plus if a sizable percentage don't use this.. you
will still need to do the old method of counting via ip address to
know that. Again merge is possible and could be probable.

I would like to think these are 'solvable' problems.. but I also am
quite aware that pretty much every pseudo-anonymization method falls
over pretty darn quickly due to yet one more thing that has to be
recorded somewhere.

--
Stephen J Smoogen.