On 2/1/19 4:06 AM, Mikolaj Izdebski wrote:

...snip...

>>>    Separate Koji + Koschei deployed in Fedora infrastructure cloud;
>>
>> Turns out we are going to be retiring our cloud, so no, this is not a
>> place to put it. :)
>
> Cloud doesn't necessarily mean OpenStack. There are other options. For
> example, a baremetal, out-of-warranty virthost in an isolated network
> would work - better that OpenStack.

Well, I was responsing to "Fedora Infrastructure cloud" which completely
does mean openstack. ;) But yes, as I mentioned we can come up with
other options if it's desired.

...snip...

> Koji builders can be added and removed dynamically very easily. Adding
> a builder in public cloud is as easy as spawning some VM, installing
> koji-builder, putting config file in place and starting kojid - of
> course automated using Ansible. Removing a builder only requires
> terminating the VM, nothing more. Adding a builder that is installed
> on your laptop is as easy as booting up the VM containing in, that's
> it.

Sure, except they exist in the database by that name forever.

>>>    Possibility to have some builders running outsides of Fedora
>>>    infrastructure - contributed by proposal owners
>>
>> I'd be carefull of this, as it can cause a lot of issues, but of course
>> up to you as you are doing the work. :)
>
> The idea was to have just a few builders (eg. 3) running constantly.
> If someone wants to do massive amounts of builds (and have them
> complete quickly) then they can plug in their own hardware or
> instances in public cloud that they would pay for, which would be
> added to a separate Koji channel. Then their builds would use their
> builders. Builders have very low requirements - in particular they
> don't need public IP, can be behind firewall/NAT and only need to talk
> to hub over https. Even someone's personal laptop could be used as a
> builder.

Sure, note there would be some setup here for you... adding channel,
keytabs or certs for builders, etc.

>>>    Koji builds can be done from SCM (src.fp.o, pagure.io, github, …) or
>>>    from SRPM upload
>>
>> Ah, so it would not have it's own git/pagure?
>
> No. Builds would be allowed from any configured SCM - it could be from
> forks on src.fedoraproject.org, from repositories on pagure.io,
> repositories on other git hosting services. It's up to people using
> the system to choose the workflow that suits them best. They could
> even build from SRPM uploads.
>
>>>    It is not official build system of Fedora which is not helping with
>>> Problem
>>>    №2: Testing of new rpm/koji/mock features/configuration
>>>
>>> <https://docs.google.com/document/d/1DtNTCa-gXc0ILDDHPyAcAca2GGGlENavfgPwGGgqJ_Y/edit#heading=h.iodoq4xw80c2>
>>
>> Note that if you also are testing new things you could break packagers
>> that are trying to do other work...
>
> Testing new features would be done in separate tags. So no, others
> would not be affected.

I'm not sure how you could test a new koji hub or rpm on the hub with
tags, but sure, you could test some things by having different builders.

>>>    By building only on a single, fast architecture.
>>
>> This may well bite you when you merge back to koji and build for all
>> arches.
>
> I don't see this as a problem.Most of the packages that we are
> planning to build in MBI (Java/Rust/Go) are noarch anyway.

ok. Unless some other folks start using it.

>> Overall sounds very nice... we will have to work out details if everyone
>> is on board with it. Do note that it's going to be a lot of work for you
>> all... :)
>
> Actually there's not that much work. Most of the work is already done.

great.

> I've developed and I'm running MBI setup myself in AWS, using my
> personal account. Others liked this workflow and asked whether they
> could use it. I kindly refused as I can't pay for all that myself.
> Then we come up with a proposal to have this hosted by Fedora.

Sure, makes sense.

Thanks for the answers!

kevin