On Tue, Feb 12, 2019 at 11:03 AM Miro Hrončok <mhron...@redhat.com> wrote:

> [...]
> >     the hill of modularisation will certainly be an achievement of sorts.
> >

> > They say the easiest way to learn the right answer is to post the wrong
> > answer
> > on the internet. Here is my “wrong” answer that I hope someone will correct
> > so
> > my context on this thread is correct.
> >
> > As a user who wants to run a piece of software:
> >
> > * I can run software like LibreOffice in a flatpak that works like a
> > container
> > (not identically) and I can get it via a dnf-like command line tool or the
> > GUI
> > software store. When I run the app I can’t tell it is in a flatpak. If the
> > app
> > isn’t graphical I can generally achieve the same effect with a container and
> > some knowledge of container runtime configuration.
> >
> > * I can enable a module that provides the software using a dnf command. At
> > that
> > point the dnf command installs the software as though it was in the
> > “everything”
> > repo. Once the enable command is run I can’t tell that the software is
> > delivered
> > as a module.
> >
> > As a developer who relies on a dependency that is module only:
> >
> > * I can build in containers and on my local machine by enabling the module.
> > This
> > causes dnf and dependency installs to work as though the contents of the
> > module
> > were in the “everything” repo.
> >
> > * Today, I cannot build packages for the “everything” repo that have
> > runtime or
> > build dependencies on modules. Work is being done to allow build
> > dependencies
> > that are in a module to be used.
> >
> > Overall, as a user, to a large degree, the delivery mechanism (rpm,
> > container/flatpak, and module) doesn’t affect me, except briefly at install.
> >
> > Overall, as a developer, today if my dependencies are modules, I have to
> > build a
> > module. Tomorrow if my runtime dependencies are modules I have to build a
>
> (anchor)
>
> > module, but otherwise I can build an “everything” repo rpm. I can deliver
> > via
> > container or flatpak today no matter what.
> >
> > As a system administrator, if my machines have internet access I may have to
> > learn a few new commands, but it all works. If my machines are getting their
> > software indirectly, my experience will vary based on whether my indirection
> > server can handle modules, flatpaks and containers.
> >
> > Is this close to right?
> Pretty much, with one subtle difference.
>
> It' not tomorrow (see: anchor). It's in undefined future. And we are breaking
> things now, before that future comes. Not for the first time.
>
> (I know anyone can unbreak it by claiming the packages, but that's not the

Miro, am I reading it correctly that the list below "Orphans (rawhide)
(not depended on) (147):" is the list of orphan leaf packages?

Also, if somebody can help me come up with a minimal set of "critical
link" packages that need to be taken care of, that would be very much
appreciated. I'll then request maintainership for those, unless I come
to my senses by then.

Fabio